Fiera Capital and Fiera Private Alternative Investments are committed to ensuring that environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations are fully integrated into our investment processes.
Such considerations are particularly important with respect to the variety of ‘real’ assets – ranging from agricultural land and core real-estate to vital infrastructure – that figure prominently in our expanding suite of private alternative strategies. These assets are typically held for longer terms than other types of investments; are often geographically fixed – e.g. farmland – and therefore linked to local communities and the environment; and are frequently subject to regulatory and compliance regimes.
Fiera Private Alternative Investments’ comprehensive
approach to ESG is summarized below.
- Be among the global leaders in ESG integration
- Aim to provide investors with increased income and capital appreciation through experienced portfolio ESG performance
- Mitigate risk and support creation of stable value long-term
- Systematically embed ESG factors
- Accountability towards investors and stakeholders
- Impact on long-term performance
- Cooperative approach individually adapted to each investment
- High ethical standards
Certifications and signatories
There is a growing demand for Private Alternative managers to consider ESG factors. Private Alt managers need to have clear responsible investment policies and provide full ESG reporting and explain how ESG integration contributes to create value.
In 2018, the firm significantly improved its UN PRI assessment scores across the board. This reflected in large part the efforts of the former ESG committee and its successor, the global Corporate Responsibility Committee, in leveraging core Fiera Capital values such as collaboration, innovation and excellence in the area of CSR and ESG integration.