Fiera Capital and Fiera Private Markets are committed to ensuring that environmental, social and governance (ESG) considerations are fully integrated into our investment processes.
Such considerations are particularly important with respect to the variety of ‘real’ assets – ranging from agricultural land and core real-estate to vital infrastructure – that figure prominently in our expanding suite of private markets strategies. These assets are typically held for longer terms than other types of investments; are often geographically fixed – e.g. farmland – and therefore linked to local communities and the environment; and are frequently subject to regulatory and compliance regimes.
Fiera Private Markets’ comprehensive
approach to ESG is summarized below.
- Be among the global leaders in ESG integration
- Aim to provide investors with increased income and capital appreciation through experienced portfolio ESG performance
- Mitigate risk and support creation of stable value long-term
- Systematically embed ESG factors
- Accountability towards investors and stakeholders
- Impact on long-term performance
- Cooperative approach individually adapted to each investment
- High ethical standards
Certifications and signatories
- Fiera Capital Corporation is a signatory to the United Nations Principles for Responsible Investment.
- Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) is applicable to Fiera Real Estate.
- Building Owners and Managers Association (BOMA) BEST sustainability standards are applicable to Fiera Real Estate.
There is a growing demand for Fiera Private Market managers to consider ESG factors. Private Market managers need to have clear responsible investment policies and provide full ESG reporting and explain how ESG integration contributes to create value.
In 2018, the firm significantly improved its UN PRI assessment scores across the board. This reflected in large part the efforts of the former ESG committee and its successor, the global Corporate Responsibility Committee, in leveraging core Fiera Capital values such as collaboration, innovation and excellence in the area of CSR and ESG integration.